How to Be a Cancer Survivor

I had just left my ex husband on the 14th October 2005 and here I was on the operating table on the 14th November 2005 being cut open from my sternum to the pubis with a massive UTI and in a lot of pain.

I was in "Sunshine Hospital" where I had been working as a nurse in every ward now as a patient. I remember being told prior to going into the theatre that there could be the chance that this mass could be malignant and I may need a hysterectomy.

I have my two beautiful daughters and whatever needed to happen so that I could be with them, I gave my consent.

Post op I was told that the mass was malignant and that I would have to have chemotherapy, the shock was great and very surreal.

Being a nurse I had often cared for oncology patients and said that I would never have chemotherapy. Isn't it amazing when you are on the other side, you do what it takes.

I never thought I was going to die though. As strange as it seems it didn't really cross my mind. I just thought, lets not ask God why me? I have been chosen by God and I need to ask myself why.

That's what I did. The answer: because I am a strong woman and I have an opportunity.

What is that opportunity? To spread the word. You have medical knowledge and the knowledge as a patient.

Ovarian cancer is the biggest deadly killer of women today. They call it the "silent killer". Why? Because most women think that having a pap smear every two years checks you out gynecologically! Huh, guess what! Wrong, a pap smear does not check above the cervix. Not only that most women ignore the signs and symptoms and don't go to have it checked unless they are having extremely abnormal periods, or they feel a lump or want to lose weight but it isn't budging. There are many more signs and symptoms to look for as well.

The other important matter is how is your sex life? How often do women speak with their GP about intercourse being painful... How often does your GP ask you if intercourse is painful...?

A simple CA125 blood test along with a referral to a gynecologist could detect early enough but assist with any other underlying issues.

Lets rally the GP'S and get them asking these questions and save many more women's lives.

Survival is the issue so go out there with the intent to spread the word and assist others. By doing so you are insuring that this "gift" is helping others survive and change your life. It will change who you are and your thoughts will be on helping others and not on yourself leading to a more fulfilling life.

Take time though and ensure that you look after yourself. Pamper yourself and put your makeup on. Have fun with all the wigs and have a different style and colour every day.

Good luck in your journey and look out for my E-book that I am going to finally write and get that word out there.

Dee.

Please check out my blog and subscribe to updates as I will be continually adding more details of my journey at: [http://getadogupya1.com]

This is part of my story of my experiences with being a survivor of cancer. Medically having knowledge can be beneficial and what you do with having a "gift of cancer" is up to the individual. I am choosing to share my knowledge and experience and being a nurse help with articles that you the patient that hears words and you want them simplified, and with my articles I want to link you to explanations. I hope that this article will help answer some of those questions and please spread the word to every woman you know. This is my wish.

God bless


Original article

No comments: